Spicy Creole Jambalaya
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large chicken breast, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Spanish pimenton or Hungarian paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon roughly cracked black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 2 Serrano chili peppers, diced
- ¼ green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ¾ cups tomatoes, diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes tabasco
- ¾ cup long grain white rice, washed
- 3 ¼ cups chicken or shrimp stock
- ½ Andouille sausage, sliced
In a medium-sized bowl, combine shrimp, chicken 2 tablespoons of olive oil, Spanish pimenton or Hungarian paprika, kosher salt, garlic powder, cracked black peppercorns, onion powder, fresh ground cayenne flakes, dried oregano, and dried thyme.
Work the seasoning well into the meat set aside.
In a large cast iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over high heat.
Add yellow onion, green onions, jalapeños, Serrano chili pepper, green bell pepper and celery ribs and cook for 3 minutes.
Stir in garlic, tomatoes, bay leaves, Worcestershire and tabasco using a stainless steel spatula with a flat edge and rounded corners.
Stir in the washed long grain rice and slowly add the chicken or shrimp stock.
Bring liquid to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and cook until rice absorbs liquid and becomes tender, 15 minutes.
Add shrimp and chicken mixture and sausage and cook another 10 -12 minutes.
Let cool 5 minutes, remove bay leaves. Add kosher salt and cracked black peppercorns, if necessary, and then serve.
- Spicy Creole Shrimp Dip – A Holiday Tradition (acadianatable.com)
- Mardi Gras Jambalaya Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Flying Fish’s Jambalaya Recipe (wreg.com)
- Jamaican Jerk Soup (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Guacamole Recipes & Easy Guacamole Recipe | Pottery Barn (potterybarn.com)
- Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp Jambalaya (katydidcountry.com)
- Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya (catymills.wordpress.com)
- Creamed Onions (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Ukrainian Chicken (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)