Kreatopita is a Greek meat pie made with ground beef wrapped in sheets of phyllo dough. This Greek classic gets a fancy twist when made with beef tenderloin. It is an elegant dish that I love to serve for guests who have never eaten Greek food. I like to serve this with asparagus or a Caprese salad and a some good red wine.
Beef Tenderloin in Phyllo
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Diamond Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks, 4 ounces each and 1 inch thick
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 6 phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenhet and lightly grease a baking sheet.
Heat olive oil in frying pan on medium. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender. Stir in the wine and cook for another 2 minutes until the wine as evaporated.
Add the onions, garlic tomato paste and all of the spices, along with the salt and the cracked black peppercorns and cook until the onions are tender. Cool.
In another frying pan, over medium-high heat, sear the beef tenderloins for 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
Brush each side of the phyllo dough with the beaten eggs.
Stack into one pile on a flat surface and cut lengthwise in half and then crosswise in half to make 4 stacks.
Divide and spoon mushroom mixture onto the center of each stack.
Place beef tenderloin on the mushroom mixture and top with Parmesan cheese.
Bring all 4 corners of the phyllo packet together. Pinch and twist tightly to close.
Lightly spray each purse with cooking spray and place on the baking sheet.
Bake for 8 – 9 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Slim Tenderloin Kebab Combo (fitronomy.wordpress.com)
- The Seasoned Beef Tenderloin, atop Sauteed Mixed Greens, with Baked Parsley Fries (thegrecianneworleanian.com)
- Roast Beef Tenderloin Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Beef Tenderloin Medallions with Creamy Cafe Balsamic Sauce (ochealthycoffee.wordpress.com)
- Beef Tenderloin and Almond-Crusted Cream Dory with Cilantro-Almond Sauce (elanhaya.wordpress.com)
- Beef Tenderloins With Red Wine Sauce Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Baklava (foodscurious.wordpress.com)
- Black & Blue Beef Tenderloin Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Microwave Bacon Wrapped Beef Tenderloin (stonewaverecipes.com)