stephen and I love Indian food but living in a small town in rural Minnesota means there are very few restaurants and any ethnic food has to be homemade. So we have come up with an authentic chicken curry we can make in the crock pot whenever we’re in the mood. This curry powder has fenugreek seeds in it which we buy from The Spice House: http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/indian-fenugreek-seeds-whole-and-ground. You can buy them whole and roast them to bring out the sweet maple-y flavor or buy them pre-ground. These seeds are wonderful with pork dishes. They are also thought to help with digestion and to help stimulate breast milk production. They are essential to authentic curry powders and help make this dish spectacular. It can serve up to 8 so it is also great for entertaining.
- 4 pounds chicken pieces,with bones
- Chicken stock
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 cup plain full fat Greek yogurt
- 3 red potatoes, chopped
- 3 teaspoons Diamond kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves (fresh is best)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
Place chicken a large crock pot and cover with chicken stock, cook on high for 2 hours.
While chicken is cooking whisk together all the ingredients for the curry powder and set aside.
Remove chicken from the crock pot and cut the chicken into small pieces. Dispose of the chicken stock.
Put chicken pieces, yogurt, onions, potatoes, Diamond kosher salt and curry powder in a large bowl and stir until all of the ingredients are well coated.
Transfer mixture to the crock pot and cook on low for 4 -6 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
Serve over basmati rice. If you have mangoes where you live garnish with mangoes.
- Chicken Curry: Homemade Indian Food Anytime (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Curry Chicken Salad (declutteryourbody.wordpress.com)
- Japanese chicken curry (cutiepatroller.wordpress.com)
- Curried Chicken Snackers Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Curried Chicken or Turkey Salad (chewoutloud.com)
- Chicken & Drumstick curry…..Korioora Munakkai (currydemon.com)
- Slow-cooker Chicken Curry Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Singh’s simple Chicken Curry (urcooking.wordpress.com)
- Secrets of Chicken Curry (foodsuncovered.wordpress.com)
- Essential Indian Food Spices – Everything You Need to Cook Indian Food (whatthemom.com)