Sometimes I find soup to be a bit boring. I want it to be healthy, filling and heartwarming but most soups fall short. To spice things up on these cold Minnesota nights I make Jamaican Jerk Soup. It’s spicy, fresh and delicious.
Jamaican Jerk Soup
Makes 12 cups
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon ginger freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons Spanish Pimenton
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Diamond kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried chilies, crushed (We used Serrano)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/ 8 teaspoon ground allspice
- A pinch of crushed black peppercorns
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 – 2 Yukon potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 – 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow turnip, diced
- 14 ounces cream-style corn
- 14 ounce stewed tomatoes in juice, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups spinach leaves, coarsely shredded and lightly packed
Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat.
Add the pork loin, ginger, Spanish pimenton, Diamond kosher salt, dried chilies, dried thyme, ground cinnamon, ground allspice, cracked black peppercorns and ground cloves.
Cook for 10 minutes until pork is browned on both sides.
Add the onion and garlic clove. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in 1 cup of chicken stock, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
Transfer to a 4 quart slow cooker.
Add the rest of the chicken stock, potato, sweet potato, turnip, cream-style corn, stewed tomatoes, and carrot. Cook on high 3 1/2 – 4 hours on high.
Stir in spinach. Cover and cook on high for 5 more minutes.
- Amish Preaching Soup (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Curry Cauliflower Soup (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup with Plantain Chips (delishdlites.com)
- The best butternut squash soup recipe ever (the-running-mom.com)
- Sweet Potato Soup Gone Paleo (nourishednature.wordpress.com)
- Italian Spinach and Pasta Soup from The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch (mccallumsshamrockpatch.wordpress.com)
- Make-Ahead Butternut Squash Soup with Parmesan-Reggiano Croutons (rachels-table.com)
- Chicken Noodle Soup, Making The Best of Everything (tabithasglutenfreedishes.com)
- Jamaican Jerk Soup (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)