Growing up I hated sweet potatoes and I especially hated the candied sweet potatoes that were served every Thanksgiving. Recently, I have become a sweet potato convert due to amazingly addictive sweet potato chips that I ate a restaurant. With some trepidation I tried sweet potato fries and discovered that these were addictive as well. Since my beef seemed to be with the sugary, sweet baked sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows, I decided to re-vamp the recipe using citrus flavors. These baked sweet potatoes with candied orange peel may win over the sweet potato hater in your life.
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Candied Orange Peels
Serves 6 – 8
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, scrubbed well
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of allspice
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Candied orange peel, store bought or homemade
Boil the sweet potatoes until almost tender when pierced with a knife about 20 – 25 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish, set aside.
Drain the sweet potatoes and let stand until they are cool.
While the sweet potatoes are cooling, in a small bowl whisk together the ginger, turmeric, nutmeg, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon and allspice. Set aside
Peel and the quarter lengthwise the sweet potatoes.
Layer the sweet potatoes with seasoning blend, small dots of butter, and liquid honey.
Dot the top layer with butter and pour the orange juice over the sweet potatoes.
Cover with aluminium foil and bake 45 minutes.
When the sweet potatoes are done decorate with candied orange peel and serve.
Homemade Candied Orange Peel
To make the candied orange peel I confess I used the recipe from Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker which can be read here:
If you enjoy them let her know!
- Meatless Monday: Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Red Onions with Feta (blogher.com)
- Healthy Thanksgiving Day Recipes – Paleo Sweet Potato Casserole (exoduschiropractic.me)
- Sweet Potato Panna Cotto (otakastradio.com)
- Sweet Potato Sonker (kcet.org)
- Eat & Tell: Sweet Potato Cornbread Recipe (herlifeinspired.com)
- Better Than Pumpkin Pie… Sweet Potato Casserole (hardlyperfectmom.wordpress.com)
- What to do with – Leftover Sweet Potatoes (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- More Thanksgiving Goodies (foodsinthefastlane.me)
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping (radio.foxnews.com)
- Roasted Sweet Potato and Harissa Dip (kcet.org)