This simple soup is perfect for cold, winter nights. It keeps you full and doesn’t take a lot of time or attention. Sometimes simply, hearty food is better than the fanciest foodie fad. On a cold night this soup pairs beautifully with homemade cornbread.
Amish Preaching Soup
- 1 pound Great Northern Beans
- 8 cups of water
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 pounds ham hock
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons parsley, diced
Rinse the Great Northern Beans in a colander and pick out any debris.
Drain the Great Northern Beans and return them to a large pot.
Cover the Great Northern Beans with water and let soak overnight.
Drain the Great Northern Beans in a colander and return the pot after giving the pot a quick rinse and set aside.
In stock pot, over moderate heat, add the ham hock and vegetable stock and bring to a boil
Simmer, on low heat the ham hock for 1 – 1 ½ hours or until tender and then skim the fat from the top of the vegetable stock.
While the meat is cooking, saute the yellow onion over low heat for 35 minutes, stirring every five minutes to keep it from burning.
Add the celery to the yellow onion and cook for another 8 – 10 minutes. Turn off the heat set aside until ham hock is tender.
Remove ham hock from the vegetable stock and cut away the meat from the bone in large chunks.
Return ham pieces to the vegetable broth and add the yellow onion, celery, Great Northern Beans and cracked black peppercorns.
Simmer soup until the Great Northern Beans until tender, about 1 hour.
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
- Amish Preaching Soup (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Carrot Soup (remotecontrolproof.wordpress.com)
- Curry Cauliflower Soup (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Easy Tomato Soup (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Hearty White Bean & Smoked Ham Soup (hauteapplepie.com)
- Simple and Savory Smoked Ham Hocks (americanfood.answers.com)
- Ham and Bean Soup (kissmyingredients.com)
- Bruine Bonensoep (Brown Bean Soup) (cunningcanner.wordpress.com)
- New Orleans Red Beans & Rice Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)