Everybody has a meatloaf recipe. Mine is a bit different then most because I like to use ground pork in addition to the beef. It makes the have a hint of meaty sweetness that goes well with the catsup based sauce. You can make it with just ground round but it won’t taste the same. The tang of the vinegar/ A-1 sauce and the use of sage really elevates the taste of this meatloaf.
- 1/2 pound ground round
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 6 – 8 slices bread, toasted and torn into pieces
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons A -1 sauce* can use Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Glaze, recipe follows*
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Diamond kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper corns
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup sage, minced
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup whole milk or less
- 1 cup catsup
- 1- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons A – 1 sauce* can use Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- A pinch of cayenne or a dash of Tabasco* optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a 9 inch loaf pan with aluminum foil. If you like the crusty bit at the bottom of the pan, just spray the loaf pan down with cooking spray. Set aside.
I like to make the glaze first so that the flavors have time to meld while making the meatloaf and to add a little of the glaze to meatloaf mixture.
In a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup, mix together all of the sauce ingredients and stir well. Set aside
Mix together all of the meatloaf ingredients except the milk. Keep mixing until well combined.
Slowly add the milk to the meatloaf until it is smooth. You may use less milk or a little more.
Shape loaf in pan and top with 1/3 of the glaze (Stir the glaze a few times before using).
Bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes and then baste the top of the meatloaf with another 1/3 of the glaze.
Bake for another 15 minutes.
Slice meatloaf and drizzle the remaining sauce over the slices.
- Not Your Mama’s Meatloaf (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Vegan Meatloaf Special: Get Ready to Drool 4 Ways! (elephantjournal.com)
- Cheesy Turkey Meatloaf Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Vegetable Lentil Loaf (totally vegan version of your mamas meatloaf) (fromgardentogrub.wordpress.com)
- Best Meatloaf Ever (crystalhollis.com)
- Mama’s Meatloaf (familyfoodroots.wordpress.com)
- Healthy Recipe: Meatloaf (completeherbalguide.com)
- Food & Drink: The BEST Meatloaf You’ll Ever Eat (erinlyyc.wordpress.com)
- Meatloaf Recipe (food.com)