Christmas cookie exchanges are just around the corner and one of the most popular cookies to have in your baking arsenal is the chocolate crinkle cookie. Chewy, fudgey, chocolate crinkle cookies are like bite size brownies which means once you have one you won’t be able to resist gobbling down the rest. These are gussied up for Christmas with the addition of peppermint extract instead of the usual vanilla extract. If you want the traditional chocolate crinkle cookie just swap out the peppermint extract for vanilla extract. Yum!
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Makes 6 dozen cookies
- 1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond kosher salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
In a medium bowl mix together the cocoa powder, espresso powder, bittersweet chocolate, vegetable oil and granulated sugar.
Beat in the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
Stir in the peppermint extract.
In another bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder and Diamond kosher salt. Stir this mixture into the cocoa mixture.
Cover the dough and chill for at least 4 hours. Do not skip this step or the cookie dough will be too wet to use!
Move the rack in the oven to the top rack. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spay and set aside.
Using a teaspoon scoop out cookies and roll each into a ball and roll in confectioners sugar.
Place cookies on greased baking sheet and bake for 10 – 12 minutes.
Let cookies cool for a minute on the baking sheet and then cool on a wire rack.
Put the dough back in the fridge between batches to keep it from getting too sticky. Only bake one batch at a time or rotate cookies halfway through to ensure a cracked top.
- Lizrael Update: The time I hacked together chocolate crinkle caramel cream cookies. (lizraelupdate.com)
- Decadent Chocolate Chip Brownies with Sel Gris (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Surprise Cookies (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Whoopie Pies: The Way To A Happy Childhood (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies (mamasrecipebox.wordpress.com)
- The “Go-To” Cookie (food4daz.wordpress.com)
- The “Go-To” Cookie (wyliecassinelli.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies (mixinkitchen.wordpress.com)
- Snickerdoodles (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)