One of my earliest and favorite memories of my grandma Charlene was of her standing in the kitchen making biscuits. She made the most tender, delicious biscuits and her recipe has been a closely guarded secret. Her biscuits are the gold standard against which all other biscuits are held. While I would never turn down a buttermilk biscuit I still love these best. Since she passed away I have been begging my aunt to give it to me and she finally relinquished my grandmother’s handwritten copy to me. The secret to these biscuits is the cake flour, I am sure.
To make these biscuits right you need to have very cold unsalted butter and to handle the dough as little as possible. For the most tender biscuits use biscuit cutters and when you bake them so that the sides touch.
Fluffiest Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 1/3 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Diamond kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and broken into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
Using a pastry cutter (or two knives) cut in the butter until the mixture is made up of coarse crumbly meal.
Fold in the buttermilk to moisten to flour mixture.
Lightly flour a clean surface and turn out the dough. Knead only a few times to bring the dough together. Do not over knead or you will have tough biscuits.
Roll out dough and cut out with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter.
Place biscuits next to each other on the baking sheet for softer sides. If you don’t like soft sides place 1 inch apart on baking sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown and baked through.
- Renata’s Sharp Cheddar Biscuits (thenovicegourmet.com)
- Recipe for Cat Head Biscuits (sunnysidelane.org)
- KBCW Podsquad At Biscuit Boot Camp (cwsanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
- Buttermilk Biscuits (kissmyingredients.com)
- Fluffiest Buttermilk Biscuits (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- Butter Biscuits – “Cooking for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet” (scddiet4kids.wordpress.com)
- My Favorite Buttermilk Biscuits (chicincolumbus.wordpress.com)
- Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe (southern.food.com)