Stephen’s favorite Christmas cookies are snickerdoodles. I had never heard of these cookies when we started dating so I learned to bake them and made them for our first Valentine’s day. I didn’t know that making them with cookie cutters would be a terrible idea. When I pulled out my heart shaped cookies they weren’t heart shaped anymore…they were butt shaped. I also tried to dye them red but they turned Pepto Bismol pink. Fortunately they were saved from being a complete disaster by tasting amazing. So every Christmas and Valentine’s Day, I make what Stephen affectionately calls “Butt Cookies.”
Snickerdoodles aka “Butt Cookies”
Makes 3 dozen 1 inch cookies
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl cream together the shortening and the sugar until fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Stir in the vanilla extract.
In another large bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, ground cinnamon, baking soda, cream of tartar and Diamond kosher salt.
Stir the dry ingredients into the shortening mixture until well blended.
If the dough looks too sticky chill, covered in the freezer for 45 minutes.
In a small bowl stir together the granulated sugar and the ground cinnamon.
Roll one inch balls of dough in the cinnamon sugar coating and place on the baking sheet 2 inches apart since they will spread a lot.
Bake for 8 – 10 minutes.
Cool on wire racks.
Keep dough chilled between making batches of cookies.
Enjoy with a cold glass of milk!
- Grandma Anna’s Soft Sugar Cookies (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Christmas Chocolate Crinkle Cookies (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Santa Cookies On a Budget: 4 Shortcuts That Will Save You Time and Money (mint.com)
- Gingersnaps: The Smell of Christmas in Your Kitchen (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Browned Butter Snickerdoodles! (ufhonorssecondyear.wordpress.com)
- Snickerdoodle Cookies (littlesweetspice.wordpress.com)
- Fall Favorites: Snickerdoodle Cookies (themisadventuresofanaspiringchef.wordpress.com)
- Best Snickerdoodle Cookie…Ever. (healthykitchenhappybaby.wordpress.com)