Are you looking for a vegetable side dish for your Thanksgiving feast? Look no further, because we have a great recipe: creamed onions. Creamy, cheesy, and topped with bread crumbs. These vegetables are sure to be a hit at your holiday dinner.
- 1 pound pearl onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Diamond kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (fresh is best)
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
Bring the pearl onions to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
Simmer onions for 15 minutes or until tender.
Scoop pearl onions out of the water with a slotted spoon and place into a 2 quart baking dish.
In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and stir in the flour to make a roux.
Cook roux to a light golden brown, 2 – 3 minutes.
Add the cream, diamond kosher salt, ground black peppercorns and ground nutmeg.
Whisk constantly until thick, 3 – 5 minutes.
Pour thickened sauce over the pearl onions and sprinkle with Swiss cheese.
Brown the breadcrumbs in a skillet with the remaining tablespoon of butter and sprinkle over pearl onions.
Bake for 15 minutes until bubbly and golden.
- Green Beans with Pearl Onions and Salmon (giangiskitchen.com)
- 5 Italian Side Dishes For Christmas (mademan.com)
- Mushroom Bourguignon (annashortcakes.com)
- Emma Currie: 3 recipes using onions (dev.saxo.themorningsun.com)
- The Food Lab Thanksgiving Special: Two Pearl Onion Recipes (seriouseats.com)
- Blanquette de Veau (angsarap.net)
- Tastey Gluten-Free Holiday Recipes: GREEN BEANS & MUSHROOM SAUCE (glutenfabulous.org)