Mashed potatoes are my favorite food in the world. I could eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Nothing beats a creamy, smooth, melt in our mouth spoonful of mashed potatoes. I don’t want lumps or under cooked bits of potato. I want classic, made by your grandma kind. The best way to create the smoothest, velvety potatoes is to use a potato ricer. We use one that used to be Stephen’s grandmother’s which she probably brought over from Germany. It looks to be 900 years old and looks like a torture device but it makes the best potatoes. If you don’t have a potato ricer I suggest buying one. You won’t regret it, I promise.
The next secret to the best potatoes is using Yukon golds. Sure there are other potatoes but why get those? Yukon gold is the way to get to mashed potato heaven. Finally use buttermilk. I mean, I love using cream but buttermilk makes the best mashed potatoes. For really special occasions like Thanksgiving I make my own butter and use the buttermilk from that. They are to die for. The final secret to great mashed potatoes is to use real butter. Homemade is best but store bought unsalted butter is good. Save your margarine and smart balance for another meal because mashed potatoes need the best and the best is butter!
Best Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- 7 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks.
- 7 tablespoons buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided and softened
- Diamond kosher salt
- cracked black peppercorns
Boil potatoes until tender and then drain and cool.
Once potatoes are cool and dry put chunks through a potato masher over a large bowl. Make sure to scrape off the excess with a fork.
Stir buttermilk into potatoes.
Whip the butter into the potatoes with a fork. Make sure to be gentle to keep the texture smooth,
Season with kosher salt and cracked black peppercorns to taste.
It is a simple recipe but sometimes things are classic for a reason. If you would like to purchase a potato ricer they have them at Target, Williams-Sonoma, and Cabela’s.
- Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes (tastefullygf.wordpress.com)
- Lightened Up Garlic Mashed Potatoes (deliciousbalance.wordpress.com)
- Jalapeño & Gouda Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes (onehotveggie.wordpress.com)
- 3 Healthy Alternatives to Mashed Potatoes (brit.co)
- Mashed Potatoes with Celeriac (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)
- Gheelicios Paleo Mashed Potatoes! (writefromthefarm.wordpress.com)