Statesman, politician, writer and gourmand are just a few words to describe Thomas Jefferson. The dinners created and served at Monticello were a re-imagining of several fantastic delicacies that Jefferson encountered while abroad. It is assumed that Jefferson first encountered ice cream while traveling in France and and popularized vanilla ice cream through out America. Only 10 handwritten recipes survive and one is currently on exhibit at the Library of congress. A full history of the recipe can be found here:
Thomas Jefferson used a sabottiere to make his ice cream, you can learn about this here:
Thomas Jefferson’s Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- 2. bottles of good cream.
- 6. yolks of eggs.
- 1/2 lb. sugar
- A stick of vanilla
Mix the yolks & sugar
Put the cream on a fire in a casserole, first putting in a stick of Vanilla.
When near boiling take it off & pour it gently into the mixture of eggs & sugar.
Stir it well.
Put it on the fire again stirring it thoroughly with a spoon to prevent it’s sticking to the casserole.
When near boiling take it off and strain it thro’ a towel.
Put it in the Sabottiere
Then set it in ice an hour before it is to be served. put into the ice a handful of salt.
Put salt on the coverlid of the Sabotiere & cover the whole with ice.
Leave it still half a quarter of an hour.
Then turn the Sabottiere in the ice 10 minutes
Open it to loosen with a spatula the ice from the inner sides of the Sabotiere.
Shut it & replace it in the ice
Open it from time to time to detach the ice from the sides
When well taken (prise) stir it well with the Spatula.
Put it in moulds, justling it well down on the knee.
then put the mould into the same bucket of ice.
Leave it there to the moment of serving it.
to withdraw it, immerse the mould in warm water, turning it well till it will come out & turn it into a plate.
- Coffee and Greek Yogurt Vanilla Ice Cream (brit.co)
- Wild Ginger Ice Cream (nesslisa404.wordpress.com)
- RECIPE: Coconut and vanilla icy ice cream (dashofdani.wordpress.com)
- Nothing Like a Cold Pint of Stout Ice Cream (thebeerspy.wordpress.com)
- Leopard Ice Cream Recipe by Mzondi Lungu (mzondilungurecipes.wordpress.com)
- 7 Step Fried Ice Cream Delight! (soulsez.wordpress.com)
- Thomas Jefferson (juniorcertjefferson.wordpress.com)
- On To Monticello (lulumusing.wordpress.com)
- Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power (madamespeed.wordpress.com)